The town's name derives from the Syriac language, meaning "the doctor." The archeological sites in Assia include Saint Gerges Church (1846), remains of Saint Assia monastery that is built over Roman ruins, as well as the remains of Mar Saba Maronite monastery. At the southern outskirts of the village, Saydet Al-Qala'a Church stands on a hill surrounded by sarcophagi carved into rocks, in addition to olive and grape rock presses. During the summer of 2002, a 4.05 meter-high statue of the Virgin Mary was built near the Al-Saydeh Church. Recent discoveries have unearthed other sarcophagi on the west side of Mar Gerges Church. Assia's good quality soil has also helped to distinguish its pottery handicrafts trade.